Minutes for September 2020

Minutes from SEPTEMBER 2020 meeting

Parish Clerk: Mr Alan Bean
21 Doublegates Avenue, Ripon, HG4 2TP
Tel.: 01765 608512 E-mail:

Minutes taken by Mr Alan Bean
HELD ON Monday 14th September 2020 at Ramsgill Village Hall at 7.30pm

Full social distancing was maintinated during the meeting

  1. PRESENT Cllr R.Watson, Cllr S. Ramsden Cllr D. Fothergill, Cllr A Sykes, Cllr. J. Carter, Cllr M Wells, Cllr A. Challis, County Cllr S Lumley and Clerk Mr Alan Bean plus 2 members of the public

  2. APOLOGIES , Cllr J Graham, Cllr B Harrison,


  4. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING Proposed Cllr D Fothergill, Seconded Cllr J Carter,


  6. COUNCILLORS REPORTS County Councillor Mr S Lumley stated that Zoom meetings have been used by both County and District councils to maintain the services. This is due to social distancing rules and the pandemic. The Highways dept is aware of the needed repair to the Ramsgill to Pateley Bridge road, but has issues. Yorkshire Water and Highways are discussing who and what repairs are necessary. No date is currently confirmed for the repair. All members of the Parish Council were dismayed at this response. Pointing out that as bad weather returns, ice etc, the broken road surface will only deteriorate and the possibility of a bad accident can only increase. The ongoing Kex Gill work was stopped during lockdown, but is now ready to go back to the planning consultation. This should be fairly straight forward to now move forward as many organisations and departments have been working together to create an environmentally and safe route for the replacement road. Recent issues with lower levels of pupils as Lofthouse school, County Cllr Lumley stated, would have previously put the school in doubt, but because of the recent federation of the 2 schools, the school is currently protected. A major shake up with the district and county councils is going to take place over the next months. In previous years the national government has insisted that district and local governments should be amalgamated and new bodies created. In many parts of the UK this has already happened, some over 10 yrs ago. North Yorkshire County Council and district councils in the area, (like Harrogate, York and Selby) have been told this must now take place. 2 plans have been forwarded by these district councils and the county council. One to separate the areas into one council for all but York, and York to have its own council. This would mean a large council of around 550,000 people and a smaller council of around 250,000. Another plane is to divide the councils do the A1, so those at the west are in one, and those in the east in another. This would meana population that is closer to 400,000 in each council. Neither plan has yet been put forward to the next stage, and others could be selected or imposed. The plan, whichever is decided on, will be taking place and be completed in the next 2 yrs. This should lower council costs and make it simple to access your local needs. It also will mean a local Major who is more than ceremonial. Infarct it could mean things like KexGill could have been completed a lot quicker, as the major would have power to allocate funds immediately, whereas currently it must go through National Government systems before funds are available. The Cllrs discussed the issue of the motor bikes in Middlesmoor. Off road Motor bikes have been seen regularly running the area. When it comes to public rights of way, we have been informed that under the rules, public rights of way cannot stop them. If they cross onto private land, that is the land owners right. We have previously contacted North Yorkshire County Council and Highways regarding this, and they have said that motorbikes etc are allowed. The issue we had last year of runners using public footpaths was also brought up. Again we have previously contacted NYCC and public rights of ways, who explained as public rights of ways, they are slowed to use these, even a company who is charging people to join an event. Although we believe Lockdown etc should stop this for this year, we are aware that it is an ongoing issue. The advice we have had so far from different authorities, states only when provable trespass and damage to farmers or individuals property, is the company breaking any rules / law etc. enabling individuals to report issues to North Yorkshire County Council. The Parish council are not happy with this situation, and the chair has agreed to contact AONB to see if there is anything they can help with. On both the motorbikes and runners, the parish council is not leaving this subject

  7. FIRE STATION Nothing to report

  8. RIGHTS OF WAY Nothing to report

  9. CCTV . Nothing to report

  10. STREET LIGHTS Currently all working

  11. TELEPHONE BOXES The Boxes in the area are looking shaby, due to lack of paint. Obviously BT are not wanting to spend money on items that no longer create an income for them. The council agreed to arrange for the correct paint, and someone to paint the boxes. The council is aware that Middlesmoor telephone box door was removed by BT for repair, and has yet to resurface after several months.

  12. RAMSGILL Ransgill church wall is still in need of repair. This isnt a parish council issue, but a church issue which Cllr S Ransden is going to raise with the church

  13. HIGHWAYS As mentioned in councillors reports, Ransgill to Pateley Brudge road has seen part of the road collapse due to water damaging the foundations of the road. It was also pointed out the white lines on the road where never repainted after resurfacing. Another issue for darker nights, that might cause issues.

  14. PLAYGROUNDS REPORT Report received. Hedges need trimming, and bins are due to be emptied. J Benson will be asked if he can help with this.

  15. PARISH CARETAKER Parish caretaker has been asked to repair notice boards. He has been imformed after checking with the parish public liability insurance, that so long as he makes risk assesment reports, he is fully covered for work for the council.


    20/02174/FUL Mr and Mrs Wilson Erection of farm building. Mr and mrs wilson came to the meeting to explain their plans. They left after explaining the plans for the council to discuss later in the meeting. The council does not oppose the plans but does suggest consdieration on the Parking and transport management.

    20/02560/PNA Mr Church Erection of a bridge over Foster Beck. The council does not object or support the application however does need to see a Flood Provention Plan before considering this plan further

  17. COMMUTED SUMS Ongoing.

  18. PRECEPT Nothing to report


  20. PINFOLD Nothing to report

  21. WEBSITE nothing to report

  22. OTHER BUSINESS A good few months ago the Post Box at Grange Lane was stolen. This was infact a “VR” box and worth a lot of money. The clerk is contacting Royal Mail to check if this is to be replaced
  23. ACCOUNTS as listed below.

    After a Zoom meeting with the Chair at the end of August, and discussions about accounts on last meeting, we again discussed and confirmed the councils agreement that the Exemption Certificate – AGAR 2019/20 was approved. The chair signed the certificate at the meeting.

  24. Again HSBC forms are to be completed.

  25. CORRESPONDENCE nothing

ACCOUNTS DETAILS as per statements received up to 31/08/20

Balance of Millennium Marquee Account at 31/08/20 £ 2683.49

Balance of Business Account at 31/08/20 £ 6151.93

£ 8835.42

RECEIPT Interest 0.02p


Clerks Pay £210.00

  1. CONFIDENTIAL ITEMS Nothing to report

  2. NEXT MEETING 7.30pm 12th October 2020 currently aimed for Middlesmoor Village Hall

SIGNED BY ………………………………………………………………. Dated………………………………….