Minutes for August 2018

August 2018 meeting

Parish Clerk: Mr Alan Bean
21 Doublegates Avenue, Ripon, HG4 2TP
Tel.: 01765 608512 E-mail:

Minutes taken by Mr Alan Bean
HELD ON Monday 13th August 2018 at Lofthouse Memorial Hall at 7.30pm

  1. PRESENT Cllr R Watson (Chairman), Cllr S Ramsden (Vice Chairman), Cllr A Sykes, Cllr P Nethercoat, Cllr J Graham, Cllr D Fothergill, Cllr J Carter, Cllr B Harrison

  2. APOLOGIES Cllr A Challis, Cllr S Lumley


  4. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING Proposed Cllr P Nethercoat, Second Cllr S Ramsden

  5. ADDED MEETING ITEMS A large number of members of the public were present at this meeting to cover 2 local issues that have occurred.

    1. Local Fire Service – The possibility of closing the Lofthouse Fire Service was discussed. A member of the Fire Brigade Union and a Mr Ian Lawrence explained about the concerns that have been created. They pointed out the low number of responders available at times for the community, from the Fire Service in Ripon and Harrogate as well as others in the area. The Fire Brigade Union pointed out they are more than happy to help and back Lofthouse Fire Service. It was also pointed out that a number of local residents had applied online to be members of the lofthouse volunteer service, but had either had no reply or suggested their applications were on hold. The Chairman agreed to invite the Fire Service to our next meeting.

    2. The Lofthouse School also has issues occurring. Rumours of closing part of the school to St Cuthberts, meaning parents could need to drop of children at more than one school at the same time. At the previous meeting Cllr S Lumley stated no closure of the school was due, but it was noted he hadn’t said about moving some parts of the school. The Head Teacher is planning a meeting with parents about this. The council thought it would be good to invite the Head Teacher to the next meeting.

  1. MATTERS ARISING Cllr P Nethercoat met with the HBC representative regarding litter bins, which have now been doubled in size.

  2. COUNCILLORS REPORTS Cllr S Ramsden was contacted regarding potential DeFib at the reservoir. Mobile reception could be an issue, as such Cllr S Ramsden is going to find out about potential landline in the area. Cllr S Ramsden also mentioned about the recycling. It was decided to discuss this with Cllr S Ramsden at the next meeting. Cllr J Carter is also looking into a Defib for Wath. Costs she has seen are as much as £1600. As such she is looking into potential funding for the Defib. A number of Councillors brought attention to power cuts in the area. National Power to be invited to attend a meeting regarding this.

  1. RIGHTS OF WAY Awaiting response from owner

  2. WAR MEMORIALS Both War memorials have been dealt with

  3. HIGHWAYS Council has been informed work is due to occur on road from Lofthouse to Middlesmoor. An issue with SatNavs going the wrong way at Wath Bridge has been brought to the attention of the council by Cllr J Carter. HBC are to be contacted to see if they would put a sign up

  4. PLAYGROUNDS REPORT Reports have been handed in, nothing major to mention apart from a hole that has appeared at Lofthouse which needs sorting. Caretaker to sort.

  5. PARISH CARETAKER J Benson is to be asked to trim the Hedge at Ramsgill Bridge. Wayne Lofthouse to trim Thornbushes near Reservoir. Also to repair hole at Lofthouse Playground

  6. RAMSGILL GREEN Nothing to report

  7. PLANNING APPLICATIONS 6.16.48.D 18/02242/FUL Mr and Mrs Halsall, Holme Farm, HG3 5SN The Council looked at the application and found a number of issues with this application, This included the size of the application, and what it is planned to be used for. Also the fact it is in an area of outstanding beauty, and wouldnt fit with the local area. The council objected to the application

  8. MILLENIUM MARQUEE Nothing to report

  9. PINFOLD nothing to report

  10. WEBSITE New email set up details given to all councillors. These will only be live from after next meeting.



ACCOUNTS DETAILS as per statements received up to 30/6/18

Balance of Millennium Marquee Account at 30/6/18 £ 2323.98

Balance of Business Account at 30/6/18 £ 5714.65

£ 8038.63

RECEIPT Interest 0.13p


Invoice For Parish Clerk,

Salary, travel and consumables £231.95

H A Green – War Memorial £1147.20

  1. CONFIDENTIAL ITEMS Nothing to report


  3. NEXT MEETING 10th September 2018 at Middlesmoor Village Hall at 7.30pm

SIGNED BY ………………………………………………………………. Dated………………………………….