Minutes of December 2017

Minutes from December 2017 meeting

Parish Clerk: Mr Alan Bean
21 Doublegates Avenue, Ripon, HG4 2TP
Tel.: 01765 606395 E-mail:

Minutes taken by Mr Alan Bean
Monday 11th December 2017 at Middlesmoor Village Hall at 7.30pm

  1. PRESENT Cllr S. Ramsden (Chairman); Cllr D. Fothergill, Cllr P Nethercoat, Cllr S Lumley, Cllr R Watson, Cllr A Challis, Cllr B Harrison, Cllr J Graham, Cllr A Sykes, Cllr J Carter

PLUS 5 Parishioners also attended



  3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING Minutes for Parish Council Meeting held on Monday 11th November 2017 at Lofthouse Village Hall were proposed by Cllr B Harrison seconded by Cllr D. Fothergill, signed by Chairman Cllr Ramsden and agreed by all Councillors present as a true and accurate copy

  4. MATTERS ARISING Dog Warden was contacted several months ago, regarding ongoing issues with fouling and bags being left. So far no response has been received so Cllr S Lumley has agreed to push for a response

  5. COUNCILLORS REPORTS Cllr S Lumley reported the move to Harrogate Borough Councils new offices, is now complete. Regional development plans are being put forward for approval this month. If this doesn’t happen, National Government will deal with all plans in the area. NYCC voted Cllr J Fort (proposed by Cllr S Lumley) as an Honorary Alderman. Police Precept is up for renewal. Parishioners are asked to comment to NYCC.

    Cllr A Challis wanted to add thanks along with the rest of the council, to Heather Harker and Emily Challis for their quick thinking and help when someone suffered from a heart attack during a memorial service and Middlesmoor. It was also suggested that it maybe helpful to write on or next to defibrillators the post code of their location, as it appears some emergency services and local services do not have a list to there location, and a postcode may help when locating them.

  6. PAUL BURGESS AONB Paul Burgess joined the meeting, to explain what was happening with the plans and consultations for the proposed plans at the reservoir. He apologised for any errors in introducing the plans, and as such has put forward new consultation meetings. Ramsgill Village Hall 6-9pm 11th Jan 2018, 20th January 2018 at Nidderdale Plus and plans will be available at AONB office to view from 15th to 29th January 2018. Only after this consultations will they consider resubmitting plans. It was requested by AONB for the council to put up posters, which was agreed, in the 4 message boards we have, and anywhere else we can. The council also suggested using flyers to inform the community of these meetings.

  1. STREET LIGHTING A few street lamps were reported after the last meeting, of which one was sorted. Also an additional light has now gone out. The council will again report these, and emphasise the importance. These included a light which requires an electrician to reconnect the power, as well as one in Middlesmoor

  2. TELEPHONE BOX Cllr J Carter and the clerk are discussing how to move forward on this issue, and checking if any paperwork or correspondence is there to support it

  3. RIGHT OF WAY The council agreed that application forms to be requested to apply for rights of way regarding Lofthouse Post Office path

  4. WAR MEMORIALS Nothing to report

  5. HIGHWAYS A number of issues with blocked drains near Ramsgill are to be forward to Highways via the portal

  6. PLAYGROUNDS REPORT Reports were handed in by Cllr J Carter and Cllr P Nethercoat. No dogs signs at Lofthouse. It looks like people are pulling them off.

  7. PARISH CARETAKER The council agreed to Mt J Ramsden being on a trial basis as caretaker. A few issues need dealing with including steps at Middlesmoor that need clearing and saplings near High and Low Sykes Farm

  8. PLANNING APPLICATIONS No applications for this meeting, however it was pointed out that a planning application was resubmitted to HBC after errors on the original application that came before this council. The errors were such the Parish Council had stated in its response that it must object, and stated it would look forward to seeing the revised plans. These revised plans went to HBC but never came to the Parish Council. HBC approved without consultation. As a council we could not see any reason why this occurred and as such are to write to Harrogate Planning to find out why. Clerk is to draft a letter, and allow councillors time to review it, and suggest alterations before forwarding to HBC Planning. It would appear to the Parish Council that either we are unaware of a procedure that can cut the parish council out on planning, or an error has been made by HBC. On this occasion HBC has seen fit to pass the application, so the Parish Council is unable to put forward its view on this application, but it is important to stop any future problem occurring

  9. MILLENIUM MARQUEE nothing to report

  10. PINFOLD nothing to report

  11. WEBSITE It was pointed out a few items maybe now out of date, and need checking

  12. CORRESPONDENCE nothing to report


Balance of Millennium Marquee Account at 30/11/17 £ 2023.10

Balance of Business Account at 30/11/17 £ 6280.08 £ 8303.18


Interest £ 0.07


Invoice For Parish Clerk

Salary 14/11/17 to 11/12/17 £ 170.00

Ink Cartridge 29.99


Ray Skelton Grounds Maintenance £278.10

Poppy Appeal This years poppy wreaths £ 40.00

  1. CONFIDENTIAL ITEMS Nothing to report


  3. NEXT MEETING 8th January 2018 at Ramsgill Village Hall

SIGNED BY ………………………………………………………………. DATE …………………………………………………….